Friday, September 6, 2013

Cheap Eat'n: The Drift Inn

Photo courtesy of Wikimedia Commons
The Drift Inn in Green Bay is my latest pick for the Cheap Eat'n section. For years, I traveled past it in the heart of the industrial area on Ashland Ave., intrigued but cautiously so. The location, plain-looking sign and building facade made me think "dive bar". There always seemed to be cars in the parking lot but I hadn't heard any one talk about it. Then one day I happened to ask my friend, Linda, a De Pere native, about it. "Sure, I've eaten there plenty of times.. they have the best chili," she said. Little did I know how my chili snobbery (I'm originally from Cincinnati, the chili capitol of the world) would be turned upside down after my first bite of the Drift Inn's chili.
The Drift Inn would be the perfect addition to Guy Fieri's Diners, Drive-in's and Dives TV show. It is a true diamond in the rough. Simple exterior. Simple interior but extremely clean. The service is quick and friendly. It is a bar, but so much more- a true Green Bay Packer fan's paradise with 1997 vintage green walled- Lambeau picture prominently displayed.
The menu is not very extensive but what is served is FANTASTIC. The chili is amazing- the perfect blend of spicy, meaty and spaghetti-laden goodness. The burgers are heaven-sent.  The fries are hot and crispy, right out of the fryer. My Green Bay-bred husband swears by the brat burger. The FREE popcorn from the machine is some of the best I've ever tasted.
Did I mention that the Drift Inn is inexpensive? A large chili is less than $4. Most sandwiches run below $5. Portions are pretty big, even by Green Bay standards.
It is the perfect Packer's tailgating location, with one minor detail. It is closed on Sundays. Never fear though. If you are craving the chili, you can save the day at that Sunday tailgate party by purchasing the Drift Inn's secret chili spice mix before hand and combine it with your own meat.

No comments:

Post a Comment