Thursday, November 7, 2013

Feeling cheap skate pride

As I’ve said before, I’ve always been a bit of a cheap skate with an affinity for the finer things in life. That is, I enjoy stretching my dollars and getting the very best I can. This requires creativity and coupons when shopping for name brand clothing and groceries, traveling, going to restaurants and just plain enjoying life.  
Recently, I discovered a show Extreme Cheap Skates on TLC. I watched the show since I’m really not into the scary Halloween shows that were on other channels and okay, I’ll admit it, with a name like Extreme Cheapskates, I was curious how I stack up with those who are considered “extreme”.  Last week’s episodes featured people saving money by doing crazy things like only using electricity after midnight, using a bakery’s display cake for a wedding and even renting out a retirement community for a ten year old child’s birthday party.  Nope. I’m certainly not that extreme.
With shows like this, I worry that these extreme cheapskates or extreme couponers ruin it for the rest of us.  Those who haven’t felt the thrill of routinely saving fifty percent off groceries or claiming a name brand sweater for just a few dollars may see these shows and form stereotypes about savers and clippers. They have visions of sold out shelves, caravans of carts filled with 100 boxes of macaroni and cheese and transactions that take 20 minutes to complete.  
These “extreme” people are characterized as rude, pushy, sloppy, irresponsible and generally obsessed with not spending money at any cost. As a shopper, I am friendly, courteous and don’t even come close to having a stockpile that could last me ten years. Yet, I’ve felt the stares and have seen the eye rolls when I pull out my coupon binder at the store.  What’s worse is that many times the eye rolls come from the store employees.
Generally, I tend to have a thick skin about what others think. I dismiss the stares and tell myself they are just jealous of my successful savings, which may or may not be reality. I’m proud of being a saver. Couponing in moderation and saving money should be nothing to be embarrassed or guilty about. 
Businesses provide coupons and offer sales as an advertising ploy to get you to purchase a product you weren’t intending on buying or going to a store or restaurant you hadn’t tried before. This works often enough that coupons can be found in multiple media- newspapers, magazines, product web sites, social media outlets and even on the products themselves.  Retailers get a kick-back of about 8 cents per coupon on top of the value of the coupon so it’s a win-win for manufacturer, consumer and stores.
The trick is to use this advertising ploy to your best advantage by matching manufacturer’s coupons with store coupons and/or sales; keeping track of retailer’s sales cycles; and being a smart, creative, and responsible consumer.  

I wish this would be the type of consumer featured on TLC’s programming. But then again, I guess a half hour show called Everyday Cheap Skates wouldn’t pique viewers’ interest or get very high ratings.

No comments:

Post a Comment