Monday, December 30, 2013

The cheapest mode of winter transportation: Snowshoes

When I was in college, I took an environmental science class where we were required to go out in the U.P. forest during January. Of course, the only way we could navigate through the snow drifts was by snowshoe. The professor rented snowshoes from the Outdoor Recreation office and provided a pair for each student. From the first time I slipped my feet in the rubber holders of the snowshoes, I was hooked. So much so, that my parents bought me a pair of my very own the following Christmas. I mostly use them to toddle around our backyard in Curtis but it's enough to give me a feeling of freedom when the winter doldrums can feel so confining.
This winter, we've been fortunate (from a snowshoer's perspective) to get a good base of snow in the Green Bay area. This means that you too can feel the thrill of the buoyancy that snowshoes allow the hiker.
Bay Beach Wildlife Sanctuary is offering guided snowshoe hikes on January 4  from 11 am- 1 pm.   After a quick snowshoe lesson, hike the trails. Wear flat bottom boots, because snowshoes are provided. The cost is only $2.50 for Green Bay residents or Friends members, or $3.75 for nonresidents. Registration is required at 391-3671. This is a great way to find out if snowshoes will be a favorite mode of transportation for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment