Monday, June 10, 2013

Wonderful rhubarb

My fingers are raw from cutting rhubarb all weekend! My mother-in-law, Carole, has a crop of rhubarb that won't quit every year and Brain and I reap the benefits (and sore fingers) from it. It's just been in the last few years that this city girl has discovered the wonderful world of rhubarb. I love that it freezes so well.
Most people think of rhubarb simply for early summer pies or cakes. Some use rhubarb for glazes to put over pork or chicken. Some eat it directly out of the garden with a bowl of sugar for the pucker.
I go simple and very, very cheap with our sudden pleathora of the ruby stalks. I make jam- without the complicated canning process. It lasts in the fridge for a couple of weeks (although it usually gets eaten before then!)
For less than 25 cents per jar, I've made Rhubarb Cherry Jam, Rhubarb Strawberry Jam and most recently Rhubarb Raspberry Jam. How do I do it? Here's the recipe:

Rhubarb Jam
5 cups rhubarb chopped
3 1/2 cups sugar
3 Tblsp. water
1 6 oz. package of your favorite flavored gelatin (I use store brand for 33 cents a box)

Dilute the sugar in the water. Add the rhubarb and boil until the rhubarb becomes soft (about 5 minutes). Stir well. Add in the gelatin and continue to stir. Cook for about 3 minutes. Take off the burner and pour into the container of choice. (I use old jelly jars or margarine tubs.) Refrigerate. This makes three jelly jars worth of jam.

No comments:

Post a Comment